My family would be relocating from Vietnam and would be visiting early learning centers for their 3 year old son.
1. I would recruit an interpreter to be prepared in the event the family’s English is limited or non existent. It will also show the parents we are willing and prepared to work with their son and the family.
2. Have pictures displayed, and books that reference the child’s homeland and heritage.
3. Have a talk with the potential classmates and teacher about making the new student feel comfortable.
4. Research traditions and religious practices that may apply to the child’s culture.
5. Allow the parents to accompany the child on the first day and observe the environment of the class and how their son interacts with the teacher and other children.
By locating an interpreter I feel that will make the initial meeting less stressful for both myself and the family. Also by taking the initiative to research some traditions and religious practices I will have a place of reference to learn more about the family.